■ For Curriculum in Early Childhood Education Courses.
This best-selling text has been thoroughly updated to include standards coverage and address all aspects of classroom life, including the roles of children and adults, the physical and social environments, and teaching and learning within multiple domains for children age three to eight. It provides a comprehensive, cohesive approach to curriculum development which results in greater continuity for children and practitioners in such formal group settings as childcare, pre-school, and the early elementary grades. Concentrating as much on the "how" of curriculum development as on the "what and why," the authors present numerous examples and practical, research-based guidelines–organized by developmental domain–for translating theory into best practice that accommodates age-appropriateness, individual differences, and social and cultural diversity. Readers learn how to conceptualize, plan, implement, and evaluate curriculum through detailed application opportunities in each chapter.
I. FOUNDATIONS OF EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION.
1. Developmentally Appropriate Practice: An Evolving Framework for Teaching Young Children.
2. Teaching and Learning in Developmentally Appropriate Programs.
II. SETTING THE STAGE FOR LEARNING.
3. Planning and Implementing Effective Small-Group Activities.
4. Planning and Implementing Effective Whole-Group Activities.
5. Organizing Space, Materials, Time.
6. Child Guidance in Early Childhood Classrooms.
7. Evaluating and Guiding Children's Progress by Using Authentic Assessment.
8. Strengthening Developmentally Appropriate Programs Through Family Involvement.
III. THE CURRICULUM.
9. The Aesthetic Domain.
10. The Affective Domain.
11. The Cognitive Domain.
12. The Language Domain.
13. The Physical Domain.
14. The Social Domain.
IV. INTEGRATING CURRICULUM.
15. Integrating Curriculum Through Pretend and Construction Play.
16. Integrating Curriculum by Using Themes and Projects.
Appendix A: Sample Lesson Plans.
Appendix B: Field Trips.
Appendix C: The Big, Big Turnip