■ POSITIVE CHILD GUIDANCE, 6th Edition, equips teachers to guide, manage, and cope with the behavior of children. The book provides educators with insight into children's efforts to understand their own emerging needs and feelings while coping with adult expectations. This text is laden with poignant and humorous anecdotes from adults who work with children. Open-ended solutions encourage students to engage in higher levels of thinking, analyzing, and synthesizing materials covered in the text. Numerous revisions make this sixth edition of POSITIVE CHILD GUIDANCE more developmentally appropriate, culturally sensitive, and academically sound. This revised text addresses how the cultural differences of children, parents, and early childhood educators affect day-to-day guidance. Miller includes practical, workable steps for creating a cooperative, respectful community of children and adults with special emphasis on sensitivity to cultural and gender-based needs and differences. POSITIVE CHILD GUIDANCE outlines workable methods for preventing or redirecting inappropriate behaviors and helping children grow up to be useful citizens in a democratic social structure.
2. Understanding Children's Behavior.
3. Serving Culturally Diverse Children and Families.
4. Understanding the Reasons for Problem Behavior.
5. Guidelines for Effective Guidance.
6. Planning the Developmentally Appropriate Prosocial Environment.
7. Positive Communication.
8. Nonverbal Cues and Appropriate Consequences.
9. Misguided Behaviors and Mistaken Goals.
10. Taking a New Look at Children.
11. Historical Perspectives and Guidance Theories.
12. Understanding Children with Disabilities.
Points to Remember.
Appendix A: Children's Books Addressing Values and Feelings.
Appendix B: Resources for Responding to Special Needs and Interests.
Appendix C: Uncommon Disabling Conditions.
Appendix D: IEP Forms.