Words Their Way, Third Edition is designed to help teachers address the needs of all readers and spellers, by setting out a clear way to accomodate each student's developmental level, then providing the best methods for teaching to that level. In support of this philosophy, the authors provide more than 250 ready-to-use activities for teaching word study, spelling, vocabulary, and phonics. The text is organized by developmental sequence, and activities appropriate for each level are inclusive within each chapter. Additional word sorts and directions for games are located in the Appendix.
1. Word Study and the Development of Orthographic Knowledge.
2. Getting Started: The Assessment of Orthographic Knowledge.
3. Organizing for Word Study: Principles and Practices.
4. Word Study for Learners in the Emergent Stage.
5. Word Study for Beginners in the Letter Name-Alphabetic Stage.
6. Word Study for Transitional Learners in the Within Word Pattern Stage.
7. Word Study for Intermediate Readers and Writers: The Syllables and Affixes Stage.
8. Word Study for Advanced Readers and Writers: The Derivational Relations Stage.